Monday, November 20, 2006

People Centred versus Profit Centred Politics

I can't support the concept of globalization as it is presently being packaged and marketed to us for our consumption. The Walmartization of the planet just doesn't do much for me. Loss of sovereignty in the name of greater corporate profits? Hmmm. So what good has come out of the super corporations so far? My air is dirtier, my water more contaminated, more toxins everywhere....more allergies, more cancer, weaker immune systems. But hey, I do have my cars, and my computer, and all my conveniences - I don't have to go and scoop water from the (formerly unpolluted) river anymore. Then there's the matter of global warming. Well, other than these little things (that threaten life as we know it) corporate power has been very good to me. But, with just a little contemplation on the matter, I must answer, thanks, but no thanks. This vision of the power brokers is not one I care to share. I know they feel it is in all of our best interests, even if it kills me (and many others). Certainly we can create something a little more people friendly.

This gap that seems to be widening between those that have stuff, and those that do not, makes me uncomfortable. It seems so human to want to accumulate things, which is just fine, until it threatens all of us. So the answer is that some should have even more, while others should have a lot less? I really have to question the fairness of that idea. I know, I know, it's in the best interest of all of us ultimately to have this global elite owning everything, once everything including the water we drink has been commoditized. Oh yes, and they should have all the power as well to determine what our world will look like and make all those difficult decisions for us (like who gets what) that we shouldn't worry our little heads about anyways....

This need we have for things- isn't it mostly a result of marketing?...all these things we need to make us feel whole, and to fill the gaps that have been left by the loss of our communities, our time with our families, our beautiful planet and our health. I would be prepared to give up some of my stuff, if I could have more of these important things in my life.

We really have to start coming up with something to compete with the corporate globalization vision because it is like a runaway train. I think some people are having difficulty seeing what other options they have so don't know how to get off the train. Some people say it's too late to get off, that this is where we are going, like it or not. I believe we can still have a quiet revolution where we can show that there are options and that given some time and energy, we can create sustainable communities which can grow. Behind corporations are men and women that love and have families. Some of these (often influential) people may see the benefit of a greater vision- one that may serve them and their future generations better. I believe we have a responsibility to develop this vision and begin to manifest it.

I've include a link to David Orchard on the sidebar as I've been impressed with his book "The Fight For Canada" which gives a wonderful history of Canada that wasn't taught in schools. I certainly don't remember being taught that Louis Riel was a hero who may be one of the individuals responsible for Canada being an independent country today. Orchard also sees options other than selling out to large multinational interests. He is politically active and also an organic farmer. He inspired me to join the Liberal Party of Canada and do what I can to support Stephane Dion.

It's amazing to see people such as David Orchard, Naomi Klein, Mel Hurtig , Maude Barlow and so many others who are taking a stand against deep integration with the U.S. and globalization. These are the people who are pointing towards a future that is people centred, rather than profit centred. In contrast to globalization and "deep integration" the political ideals they hold can allow for the type of sustainable development that I and many others envision. Perhaps there is still time in Canada to make the changes necessary and continue the fight for a nation that can hold human values above greed and our lower self serving nature.

No comments: